We’re only a few months old here at The Comics Herald and it’s been a hell of a fun ride already. We’re proud of the amount we’ve achieved, the number of comics, webcomics and graphic novels we’ve reviewed.
A team of two can only do so much though, so we’re putting the call out for anyone else with a passion for comics that’d like to throw their hat in the ring.
Here’s who we’re looking for:
1. Someone who reads comics regularly – you don’t need to be hard-core by any means, but a good familiarity with the area is a must. Which comics doesn’t really matter.
2. Someone who writes well – but don’t be TOO hard on yourself here. Your work will be edited for the odd typo or grammatical error, which is fine. All we ask is that you can string sentences together in an engaging way and not require extensive re-writing / correction by your friendly editor.
3. Someone who writes regularly – we’d be looking for people that can contribute a minimum of a 400-600 word article each week ideally. That said, fortnightly gigs will be seriously considered as well, as will guest reviews or opinion pieces if you can’t commit regularly.
4. Someone who has a volunteer sense of spirit: unfortunately we’re a loss-making outfit. If revenue increases beyond costs, you WILL be sharing in that equally with the other writers on the team. In the meantime, expect the odd bit of swag or attendance at a comics-related event representing TCH, if the opportunity arises. And yes, you do have a byline to tout to much richer publications than our humble selves. Finally, you’re welcome to have a link back to your own blog or related web undertaking in each of your articles.
5. We’re definitely after more people to cover the Australian and New Zealand comics scene, but also happy to have anyone apply from other countries.
So if you’d like to express interest, here’s what you do:
1. Use our contact form and provide the following info:
– ideally submit a sample of your writing or at least a pitch on what you’d like to write and why
– tell us a little bit about yourself – similar in vein to the bios on our About page.
– what day and time of the week is best for you to submit your work
2. Wait patiently for us to get back to you – it should only take a day or two.
3. See points 1 and 2.
We’re looking for multiple people, so do have a think about getting involved – and again don’t be too harsh on your writing ability. Leave that to us!